Hospitals and health care system there when we need them

I want to say a big thank you to all who offered thoughts and prayers for me today as I underwent umbilical hernia surgery at Langley Memorial Hospital today. I was a bit nervous, having not had a general anaesthetic since 1979. I had found it challenging to come out of at that time.
My experience today was simply great on all counts. My thanks to surgeon Dr. Scott Cowie, anaesthetist Dr. Colin Sinclair and the terrific nurses in the surgical daycare centre and operating room. I am pleased to say that all went well and I was able to come home five hours after surgery. My loving and supportiuve spouse Bonnie Bucholtz is now pampering me to help me heal as quickly as possible.
We often complain about our health care system. and it does have problems at times with timely diagnosis, long waits at busy emergency rooms (such as LMH) and an inability of many people to obtain a family doctor. On the flip side, the treatment we get at hospitals is superb, the staff are extremely professional and are very up to date on surgical and recovery techniques and the experience for the vast majority of patients is a positive one.
Another plus is that health care is available to all, regardless of income level. Bonnie and I pay pretty hefty MSP premiums (at least by Canadian standards), but that money does go to the health care system and and we're glad it is there for us. I am very pleased that LMH has now obtained funding to expand its ER, which will include new separate entrances. I am very grateful to all the people who donated to Langley Memorial Hospital Foundation, which is contributing one-third of the total cost.
The foundation is having a major fundraiser, its 25th annual gala, on Saturday, May 13. Here is some information about it for those who have an interest: http://lmhfoundation.com/events/denim-diamonds-gala.
I also have huge respect for the work done by the other foundations and hospital auxiliaries in the South Fraser area, which raise funds for Delta, Peace Arch, Surrey Memorial and Abbotsford hospitals. Those generous individuals who donate to them really make a difference to all of us when we have health needs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bad day at Black Press

Capital parcel tax biggest culprit in massive Surrey tax increase

The Arbutus Corridor - an historic route with a bright future